Writer’s block can keep you from getting started on your next story, or it can overcome you while in the middle of one. There your primary character is, knife poised, and suddenly you are at a loss for the written word. Don’t get discouraged, as this has happened to all writers, great and not so great, at one point or another in their career. The trick is to get over as quick as possible and get back to doing what you love.
- Step away from story telling and try something else creative. Paint a picture, build a tree house or write some poetry. Sometimes your creative juices need to be stimulated from another direction in order to get them going on writing. So long as the creative part of your brain is being stimulated, you will soon get the flow of writing back down.
- Do some free writing exercises. Forget about punctuation and sentence structure, heck forget about making sense, just sit down and start writing whatever comes to mind. One of the best stories I’ve ever written came about when I wrote a detailed description of how I wash my face with a konjac sponge. From a simple beauty product my mind drifted and before I knew it I was writing a fantastic short story.
- Start moving your body around. Turn on some music and dance, go for a jog or do some yoga. Once you get up and moving the mind will follow. Allow yourself to completely unwind and relax and your mind will open up to a world of new ideas. Yoga in particular with its focus on deep breathing exercises will help you to break through a writer’s block.
- Start getting rid of distraction. Close Facebook and turn off your phone. Clean up the area where you work and put all that accumulated clutter away. A messy desk will put your mind into a state of confusion, not allowing you to come up new ideas. If it is family that keeps getting in the way and breaking your flow, put up a no disturb sign during your working hours and make sure that they respect it.
- Think about where you are stuck right before going to sleep. The subconscious mind does a great job at problem solving when it is completely at rest. Then make sure that you are able to get to writing the second you wake up in the morning.
By using these tricks, your bouts of writer’s block won’t last for long, and in many cases the flood gates will open and you will be inundated with dozens of fresh story ideas.